Search The Good Bad & Ugly Gospel Barn

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What Shall I Render Unto The Lord - Jewel Turner

What Shall I Render
What Shall I Render Unto The Lord
Jewel Turner
Artist Records, Cincinnati, Ohio
700647

Straight out of the sealed shrink comes this jewel. I wonder why Jewel Turner didn't record on Jewel, another Cincinnati, Ohio label?

Anyway, the cover is a little misleading. From the photo I expected to hear a "classically trained" voice, but Turner presents us with a country pop vocal set.

Turner has a interesting voice. Sometimes her voice sounds like vintage pop and then other times, country. Her voice frequently seems to be going flat until she pulls out of those rough spots and works out the song in a natural way that is full of positive energy. The overall effect through the LP is a pleasant one even though the example song posted above, the title track, might challenge you depending on your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment